Roasted Rosemary Beet Skewers
Guests will never guess that beets are the featured ingredient in this deliciously different appetizer. But they will agree the flavor is fabulous!—Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes4 dozen (2/3 cup sauce)
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 24 fresh rosemary sprigs (3 inches)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- POMEGRANATE SAUCE:
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Scrub beets; cut each into 16 wedges. Poke a hole through each wedge with a wooden skewer. Thread two wedges onto each rosemary sprig. Place in a greased shallow baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, orange zest, ginger, pepper and salt. Drizzle over beets; gently toss to coat. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until beets are tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is syrupy and reduced by half. Stir in brown sugar and water. Serve with beets.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 30 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Rosemary Roasted Beet Skewers with Ginger Pomegranate Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.