Roasted Root Veggies
Baking root vegetables in the oven instead of steaming them in the microwave makes them especially tender. Plus, they give my house a wonderful aroma.—Rebecca Dornfeld, Grass Lake, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 large red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 5 medium carrots, halved and quartered
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 69 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Roasted Root Veggies in Country Woman September/October 1996
Feb 22, 2010
I love the taste and aroma of this dish. I have made it several times and am happy to try some new vegetables I've shied away from in the past--turnip, rutabaga and parsnips. Goes great with roast beef.