Roasted Red Peppers Soup Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 jars (15-1/2 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add the red peppers, broth, basil and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Remove 1 cup to a small bowl; stir in cream. Return remaining puree to pan. Stir in the cream mixture; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 135 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Red Peppers Soup
"I follow the recipe exactly until the end. I add a 4 oz. can of mushroom pieces and stems for an added texture. My family loves this soup. Even the picky eater!"
"Made it this morning for tonight. Delicious! I used sea salt, onionpowder as well as the onions. Added celery salt. I also blended the soup very well except the last 2 cups I left it slightly chunky to add some texture. I also added some gouda cheese, and a cup of sour cream.I am not sure where the cumin flavor came from in a previous comment , this was yummy! Although I did modify it for my family."
"I just made this and I hate to say it but I was rather disappointed. I made it exactly as the recipe is written. It had a really strong cumin flavor. I love all the ingredients so I thought it would be better than it was. After I used my immersion blender on 1/2 of it, the texture was great. I'm going to make it again and cut down on the cumin and maybe add some garlic and thyme. I didn't add any salt while I cooked it per the comments from other reviewers. Just added a sprinkle at the end."
"The only thing I would do differently with this soup is puree only half of the peppers. It needed some difference in texture to make it outstanding. The flavor was wonderful. I will definitely make this again,"
"I used my own roasted peppers, not canned. It was elegant."
"I also added in some fresh tomatoed,garlic powder and onion powder. I also used the fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and organic roasted red peppers. This soup was wonderful."
"Amazing that such a simple recipe can be this good!! I also added a small can of diced tomatoes, undrained, to the soup just for the additional vegetable benefits-but otherwise kept to the original recipe. This is definitely a keeper!"