- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jars (15-1/2 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the red peppers, broth, basil and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Remove 1 cup to a small bowl; stir in cream. Return remaining puree to pan. Stir in the cream mixture; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forRoasted Red Peppers Soup
"I follow the recipe exactly until the end. I add a 4 oz. can of mushroom pieces and stems for an added texture. My family loves this soup. Even the picky eater!"
"Made it this morning for tonight. Delicious! I used sea salt, onionpowder as well as the onions. Added celery salt. I also blended the soup very well except the last 2 cups I left it slightly chunky to add some texture. I also added some gouda cheese, and a cup of sour cream.I am not sure where the cumin flavor came from in a previous comment , this was yummy! Although I did modify it for my family."
"I just made this and I hate to say it but I was rather disappointed. I made it exactly as the recipe is written. It had a really strong cumin flavor. I love all the ingredients so I thought it would be better than it was. After I used my immersion blender on 1/2 of it, the texture was great. I'm going to make it again and cut down on the cumin and maybe add some garlic and thyme. I didn't add any salt while I cooked it per the comments from other reviewers. Just added a sprinkle at the end."
"The only thing I would do differently with this soup is puree only half of the peppers. It needed some difference in texture to make it outstanding. The flavor was wonderful. I will definitely make this again,"
"I used my own roasted peppers, not canned. It was elegant."
"I also added in some fresh tomatoed,garlic powder and onion powder. I also used the fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and organic roasted red peppers. This soup was wonderful."
"Amazing that such a simple recipe can be this good!! I also added a small can of diced tomatoes, undrained, to the soup just for the additional vegetable benefits-but otherwise kept to the original recipe. This is definitely a keeper!"