Roasted Red Pepper Muffins
In 1998, I was the chairman of the 4-H committee designated to assemble a cookbook. This recipe was submitted by an 11-year-old boy, who used it for one of his baking projects.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Grease muffin cups and sprinkle with the cornmeal; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in red pepper and cheese.
- Fill prepared muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with remaining pepper. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 149 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Red Pepper Muffins in Best of Country Breads