- 4 medium sweet red peppers
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cut each pepper into quarters; remove seeds. Place peppers, cut side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 20-25 minutes or until skin is blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard skin. Cut peppers into 1/4-in. strips.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. In a saucepan, cook red peppers and garlic in oil for 1 minute; add the tomatoes, parsley, sugar, basil and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Spread 1 cup pepper sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, 1-1/2 cups pepper sauce, 1 cup white sauce and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, white sauce and pepper sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 pieces.
Reviews forRoasted Red Pepper Lasagna
"This was a nice alternative to traditional lasagna. I wasn't sure I liked it when I served it the first day, but it improved (like a lot of lasagnas - better the next day!) and my husband and son devoured it then! Next time I will make it a day ahead. ;)"
"This was so good! Thanks, whirleycook, for the no boil noodle tip--worked like a charm. As others have said, this is pretty labor intensive. I made it on a weeknight, but if I do so in the future, will roast the peppers and make the tomato sauce ahead of time for easy assembly."
"This is wonderful, everyone loved it."
"I have made this recipe three times, each time it was delicious. I used a little low fat mozzarella on the top. I also used no cook lasagne noodles instead of regular ones and cooked it for 30 min with foil on top and then 15 min. with foil off. It is worth the extra time it takes to roast the red peppers and peel them."
"This is very good. It's a little time consuming but the end result is worth it. I like to make it on a Sunday afternoon and enjoy the leftovers through out the week when I don't have much time to cook."