VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole oysters
- 2 cups herb stuffing mix
- 2 cups corn bread stuffing mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 pheasants (2 to 3 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- Drain oysters, reserving liquid; coarsely chop oysters. In a large bowl, combine the oysters and liquid, stuffing mixes, 3/4 cup broth, onion, celery and egg substitute. Loosely stuff into pheasants. Skewer or fasten openings. Tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Combine Worcestershire sauce and remaining broth; spoon over pheasants. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Place three bacon strips over each pheasant.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for stuffing. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing and slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Pheasants with Oyster Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p55