Roasted Pepper Chicken Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- PEPPER MIXTURE:
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread
- 4 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and sugar over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook for 1 minute. Stir in roasted peppers and vinegar; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Drain chicken if necessary, discarding any excess marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut into 1/2-in. strips.
- Cut focaccia in half lengthwise; spread mayonnaise over cut side of bread bottom. Layer with cheese, chicken strips and pepper mixture. Replace bread top; lightly press down. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into four sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 404 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Oct 27, 2011
Excellent! Lots of flavor. We loved it. I can't believe the chicken was so flavorful after an hour of marinating, but it was great. I used whole wheat sandwich thins because that was what we had. Will make again soon.
Apr 21, 2010
We loved this sandwich. I flattened the chicken breasts fairly thin, maybe 3/8 of an inch thick so they grilled quickly and cooked through evenly. Very flavorful and I think it would taste just as good without the vinegar if you aren't a vinegar fan.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.