This is such a wonderful, flavorful sandwich perfect for a casual dinner, special lunch, or when hosting a luncheon. It's sure to get rave reviews. -Laura Merkle of Dover, Deleware
Recommended: 15 Tea Sandwich Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- PEPPER MIXTURE:
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread
- 4 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and sugar over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook for 1 minute. Stir in roasted peppers and vinegar; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Drain chicken if necessary, discarding any excess marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut into 1/2-in. strips.
- Cut focaccia in half lengthwise; spread mayonnaise over cut side of bread bottom. Layer with cheese, chicken strips and pepper mixture. Replace bread top; lightly press down. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into four sandwiches. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Pepper Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p41
Reviews forRoasted Pepper Chicken Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review