Roasted Pepper and Olive Salad
When I was practicing roasting peppers, I tossed some on-hand ingredients together and came up with this recipe. It got rave reviews at our church potluck.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, halved
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- Halve peppers and remove seeds. Rub with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 4 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Coarsely chop peppers.
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, spinach, onion, mushrooms, tomato, celery and olives. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil and honey. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese and parsley; gently toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Roasted Pepper and Olive Salad in Country Woman Christmas 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.