"Try this impressive salad at your next dinner party or during the holidays. Roasting the onions and garlic creates a depth of flavor you just can't get with any other cooking method!" Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
Recommended: 40 Ways to Love Roasted Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Place onions in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil; toss to coat. Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with remaining oil. Wrap foil around garlic; place on baking pan with onions.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until onions are lightly browned and garlic is tender, turning onions occasionally. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, cheese and walnuts; top with onions.
- For dressing, place vinegar and shallots in a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and pulse until blended. Add parsley and pepper flakes. Cover and process, gradually adding oil in a steady stream. Serve with salad. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Onion Salad in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p18
Reviews forRoasted Onion Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2010
"Even with roasting the garlic, I found the dressing WAY too garlicky. I would cut it by 3/4 if I made this again."