Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup
When it comes to stirring up comfort in a bowl, Nancy Mueller knows her onions. Her low-fat soup-made with Vidalias or other sweet onions-is a cold-weather tonic for her and husband John of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 6 medium sweet onions
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the unpeeled onions and garlic bulb in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spritz with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the onions and garlic. Place in a blender; add 1 cup of broth. Cover and process until smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Add the buttermilk, thyme, pepper and remaining broth; heat through. Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 83 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Apr 26, 2012
I think this recipe needs alot of work (seasoning). It's basically onion puree with chicken broth to thin it out and tastes like it too. The onions and garlic do however, smell fantastic when they are roasting.