Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 6 medium sweet onions
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the unpeeled onions and garlic bulb in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spritz with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the onions and garlic. Place in a blender; add 1 cup of broth. Cover and process until smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Add the buttermilk, thyme, pepper and remaining broth; heat through. Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 83 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 26, 2012
I think this recipe needs alot of work (seasoning). It's basically onion puree with chicken broth to thin it out and tastes like it too. The onions and garlic do however, smell fantastic when they are roasting.