Roasted Green Beans with Lemon & Walnuts
I first tasted roasted green beans in a Chinese restaurant and fell in love with the texture and flavor. This is my Americanized version and it's always a big hit at our holiday table. —Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine green beans, shallots and garlic; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- Roast 15-20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; stir in 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining lemon zest.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 119 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Lemon Zest and Walnuts in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.