Roasted Goose with Savory Garlic Stuffing Recipe
Looking for an unforgettable entree for Christmas dinner? This is the one! The stuffed bird is moist, tender and so impressive-looking on a holiday table.
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 domestic goose (11 to 13 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1. Cut lemon in half. Rub inside and outside of goose with cut sides of lemon; discard lemon. Sprinkle inside and outside with salt and pepper. Prick skin well. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from goose breast; place bacon strips under skin. Set aside.
- 2. For stuffing, in a large skillet, saute the onions, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing cubes, sage, salt, pepper and herbs. Add 1 cup broth and egg substitute; toss gently. Stuff the goose body and neck cavities loosely; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; drizzle with remaining broth. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 4. Place goose breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 2-3/4 to 3 hours longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° for goose and 165° for stuffing, pricking skin occasionally. (Cover loosely with foil if goose browns too quickly.) If necessary, drain fat from pan as it accumulates.
- 5. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover goose with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving goose. Yield: 12 servings (12 cups stuffing).
4 ounce-weight: 806 calories, 51g fat (17g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 1012mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 55g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Goose with Savory Garlic Stuffing
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC