Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip
My version of classic hummus features white kidney or cannelloni beans with lemon and garlic. Use it as a dip or a topping for bruschetta.—Shirley Shirley, Ada, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cloves are soft. Unwrap and cool 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine beans, lemon zest, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt and remaining oil. Squeeze garlic from skins into food processor. Process until smooth. Refrigerate, covered, until cold. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup (calculated without vegetables): 124 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as White Bean Dip in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014