Roasted Garlic Spread
Since garlic is so easy to grow, it's one of the favorite plants in our garden. This thick spread has a mild mellow flavor, making it perfect for topping any bread.—Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makesabout 1/2 cup
- 2 large garlic heads
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Italian or French bread, sliced
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Brush with oil. Wrap each head in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut top off garlic heads,leaving root end intact.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in flour until blended. Dissolve bouillon in water; gradually add to garlic mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 35 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic Spread in Taste of Home February/March 1999
Mar 19, 2018
It may not be particularly pretty, and it may be simple, but you don't need a lot of bells and whistles when you have the flavor of roasted garlic to be the star. Really tasty.
Mar 17, 2012
Apr 10, 2011
Great flavor. Not attractive. Not a hit.