Roasted Garlic Pork Supper
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic heads, leaving root end intact. Brush with oil; sprinkle with basil and oregano. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl. Add lemon juice; mix well. Rub over the roast.
- Place roast in a shallow roasting pan. Arrange potatoes, carrots and onion around roast. Pour water into the pan. Sprinkle meat and vegetables with salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting often. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 263 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Nov 10, 2013
Loved this recipe! Roasted garlic is one of my favorite ingredients and it stood out in this recipe. I had a picnic cut pork roast in the freezer so I used it in place of a loin roast. It was pretty much done after the first 1 1/2 so after I smeared the roasted garlic and lemon mixture over the top of the roast I put it in back the oven on low temp just to keep it warm while I prepared the sides. I even used the juices leftover in the pan to make a gravy. It was wonderful. I substituted dried thyme for the basil and sprinkled that along with the oregano and some granulated onion and garlic on the roast before putting it in the oven for the initial bake.