Roasted Garlic Bread Recipe
- 2 medium whole garlic bulb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs. Brush with oil Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a bowl and set aside.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn into a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coated top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, add the sage, marjoram and rosemary to the reserved roasted garlic; set aside.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread garlic mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side; pinch seam and ends to seal. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place loaves seam side down on pan; tuck ends under. With a sharp knife, make several slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled. about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each).
1 slice: 84 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Roasted Garlic Bread
"Really good. I made 1 loaf with the herbs and 1 loaf with only the garlic. Definitely preferred the loaf. With herbs."
"Absolutely amazing bread! The first loaf disappeared in just two days!"
"Delicious! I added cooked bacon bits, mushrooms and shredded cheese to the filling. Also used minced garlic - the bread was awesome!"