Roasted Garlic Bread
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (10 slices each)
- 2 medium whole garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, add the sage, marjoram and rosemary to the reserved roasted garlic.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread garlic mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place loaves seam side down on pan; tuck ends under. With a sharp knife, make several slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; brush with butter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 84 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Jan 19, 2016
Really good. I made 1 loaf with the herbs and 1 loaf with only the garlic. Definitely preferred the loaf. With herbs.
Dec 26, 2015
Absolutely amazing bread! The first loaf disappeared in just two days!
Mar 27, 2014
Delicious bread! I made it to go with lasagna & the first loaf disappeared before the lasagna was cut! This would be a great starting point for other delicious additions as well, like another reviewer mentioned. I made the dough in my bread machine but shaped it by hand & baked it in the oven.
Jan 3, 2012
Delicious! I added cooked bacon bits, mushrooms and shredded cheese to the filling. Also used minced garlic - the bread was awesome!
Feb 20, 2011
Love this bread! Better than any store bought garlic bread! Used minced garlic and left out the herbs (my kids are not a fan) and brushed the butter on before the last 5 minutes of baking it. Will use this again and will definitely try with the roasted garlic. Thank you for the delicious recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.