Roasted Corn and Garlic Rice
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 ears sweet corn in husks
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2-1/4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Carefully peel back husks from corn to within 1-in. of bottom; remove silk. Rewrap corn in husks. Place garlic cloves on a piece of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon oil. Fold foil around garlic and seal tightly. Place corn and garlic directly on oven rack. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove corn; bake garlic 5-10 minutes longer or until softened.
- Remove garlic from foil and place in a small bowl; cool. Mash with a fork. When corn is cool enough to handle, remove corn from cobs with a sharp knife.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually add the broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper and roasted garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-13 minutes or until heated through. Stir in roasted corn; cover and cook 7-10 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 291 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 starch.
Nov 7, 2010
I didn't have ears of corn so I thawed frozen corn,made sure it was drained well and sauted in butter til browned. I deglazed the pan with a little white wine. I only use brown rice so cooked it separately with the broth and seasonings. Mixed the two together and it had great flavor. Huge roasted garlic fan, so this is a recipe I will make again.