Roasted Citrus & Herb Turkey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
Makes16 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium orange, quartered
- 1 medium lemon, quartered
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Mix butter and Italian seasoning.
- Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up; pat dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub cavity with salt and pepper; fill with onion, orange, lemon and herbs. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Melt remaining butter mixture; brush over outside of turkey. Add 2 cups broth to roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 3-1/2-4 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour pan drippings into a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix flour, remaining broth and, if desired, browning sauce until smooth; whisk into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with turkey.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons gravy: 500 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 223mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 64g protein.
Nov 30, 2013
Absolutely love this recipe! My family loved it.
Nov 5, 2013
Loved it!...did this recipe for t'giving and it has such a nice flavor and moist too!!
Nov 24, 2012
Very good. very moist.
Nov 3, 2012
I tried this recipe last year. The family didn't care for the Italian seasoning. Also the recommended roasting time is grossly underestimated.
Dec 20, 2011
It tasted good but the flavors were mild. It was very juicy. It browned very nice and looked awesome. I prefer smoked turkey to this so that is why I gave it 4 stars, but if I was short on time I would make this again.
Dec 2, 2011
This recipe works equally well with chicken.
Nov 20, 2011
This recipe is almost identical to Giada DeLaurentis's turkey recipe.I just saw it on Tv and she put the onion, orange , and lemon in the turkey cavity.
Nov 20, 2011
really ? only just over 3 hours at 325 for a 16 lb turkey ?
Nov 23, 2010
Did it last year and going to do it again. Didn't put the fresh rosemary and sage.The children eat all the fruit with the turkay
Dec 26, 2009
moist every loved it