Roasted Citrus & Herb Turkey Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium orange, quartered
- 1 medium lemon, quartered
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Mix butter and Italian seasoning. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up; pat dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub outside of turkey with remaining mixture.
- 2. Rub cavity with salt and pepper; fill with onion, orange, lemon and herbs. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Pour 2 cups broth into pan.
- 3. Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 3-1/2 to 4 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 4. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- 5. Pour pan drippings into a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix flour and remaining broth until smooth; whisk into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with turkey. Yield: 16 servings (2 cups gravy).
8 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons gravy: 500 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 223mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 64g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Citrus & Herb Turkey
"Absolutely love this recipe! My family loved it."
"Loved it!...did this recipe for t'giving and it has such a nice flavor and moist too!!"
"Very good. very moist."
"I tried this recipe last year. The family didn't care for the Italian seasoning. Also the recommended roasting time is grossly underestimated."
"It tasted good but the flavors were mild. It was very juicy. It browned very nice and looked awesome. I prefer smoked turkey to this so that is why I gave it 4 stars, but if I was short on time I would make this again."
"This recipe works equally well with chicken."
"really ? only just over 3 hours at 325 for a 16 lb turkey ?"
"Did it last year and going to do it again. Didn't put the fresh rosemary and sage.The children eat all the fruit with the turkay"
"moist every loved it"
"The turkey was very moist. The Italian seasoning gave the meat just the right hint of flavor - not too overpowering."