Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
A golden-brown chicken surrounded by bright vegetables creates an appealing meal-in-one.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium baking potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place chicken, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Rub with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions around chicken. Combine butter and thyme; drizzle over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and bake 45-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 345 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Thyme-Baked Chicken with Vegetables in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.