Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 8 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the poultry seasoning and sage.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Stir in celery mixture and chicken broth; gently toss until moistened. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine the paprika, salt and pepper; rub over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Place the potatoes around chicken; cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for stuffing.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Reserve pan drippings and thicken for gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 883 calories, 43g fat (17g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 756mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 56g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 11, 2017
The chicken was very moist. The potatoes were delicious. I did leave out the celery because my family doesn't like it. I think it did need a little more sage and seasoning and maybe not cook as long.