- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 8 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the poultry seasoning and sage. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Stir in celery mixture and chicken broth; mix lightly. Just before baking, stuff the chicken. Place on a rack in a roasting pan; tie the drumsticks together. Combine paprika, salt and pepper; rub over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Place the potatoes around chicken; cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until potatoes are tender and a meat thermometer reads 180°-185°. Sprinkle with parsley. Reserve pan drippings and thicken for gravy if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forRoasted Chicken and Potatoes
"The chicken was very moist. The potatoes were delicious. I did leave out the celery because my family doesn't like it. I think it did need a little more sage and seasoning and maybe not cook as long."