Roasted Cabbage & Onions
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place cabbage and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to a shallow roasting pan, spreading evenly. Roast until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring halfway, 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer cabbage mixture to a large bowl. Add chives and tarragon; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Drizzle over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cups: 183 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2018
Desperate to use up a leftover half head of cabbage, I found this recipe, adjusted the amounts and Voila! A perfectly done cabbage dish that was enjoyed by all. Will make this again. It was comfort food. Next time I will go all out and get the fresh tarragon. I used dried (amount adjusted) and it was fine but I'm sure fresh will bring a different dimension to the dish. Also good for people who don't care for cabbage as it is sweet and easy to eat.
Mar 6, 2018
Can I make this without tarragon...one of the few herbs I dislike. would it change the flavour of this recipe too much??
Jan 16, 2017
This is a great recipe, both for taste and ease of preparing. Also a novel idea that is growing more and more popular of using vinaigrette on veggies. Huibbie and I love it!!!
Nov 29, 2016
Was a lovely dish. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for a wonderful recipe. Will be another favourite in our home!
Oct 9, 2016
An easy way to cook cabbage. I cut the recipe down to about 1/3 head of cabbage. I used red cabbage. And traded the onion for an apple.
Jan 14, 2016
Great taste! A definite keeper that will be served often. I am a big fan of roasted vegetables and this did not disappoint. I didn't have fresh tarragon or chives, so I used dried and it was great. In the spring I will definitely try fresh. I only used about 1/2 of the dressing and it was plenty. I already can't wait until I make it again!
Dec 31, 2015
A nice combination of two vegetables I don't usually serve alone. Didn't have fresh chives, but frozen ones did just as well.
Aug 15, 2015
Cutting this recipe down to serve just two, I used 1/4 of a head of cabbage, and 1/2 large onion. I am a big fan of cabbage, and all the variations of slaw and sauerkraut, so this recipe was a huge success. Thanks, Ann, for another keeper.
Aug 13, 2015
I really liked this recipe for using cabbage as a nice side dish. Every oven is different and mine needed much less time in the oven. More like 24 minutes. After tossing with the dressing I also added some canned tuna flakes. Thank you for sharing this recipe.