Roasted Butternut Penne
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place squash and shallots in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. When cool enough to handle, finely chop shallots.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream and sour cream. Bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, cayenne and remaining salt.
- Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl. Add sauce mixture and roasted vegetables; toss to combine. Sprinkle with pistachios.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 541 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
May 13, 2014
For the amount of work involved and fat content, it had better be tasty. It looked pretty, but even with bold blue cheese the flavor was mediocre. Without a flavor punch, the cayenne adds unnecessary heat. I'd rather eat the roasted squash by itself.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.