Roasted Beet and Clementine Salad
"This special salad is beautiful with its jewel-toned colors," remarks Marie Sheppard from Chicago, Illinois. "Fresh fennel adds great texture to the smooth beets."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 12 fresh baby beets
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 clementines, peeled and sectioned
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fennel bulb
- Place beets on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Fold foil around beets and seal tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine egg white and pepper; add hazelnuts and toss to coat. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, shallot, thyme and salt. Gradually whisk in remaining oil.
- Peel and thinly slice beets. Line four individual salad bowls with lettuce; top with beet and clementine slices. Sprinkle salads with fennel and hazelnuts; drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 368 calories, 35g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.