Roasted Apple & Candied Walnut Salad
To add even more visual interest and tasty texture, top a pretty plated salad with roasted apple fans and crunchy walnuts. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup walnut oil or canola oil
- 5 cups torn romaine
- 5 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add walnuts and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Core apples and cut into quarters. Slice apples, but not all the way through, leaving slices attached at the stem end. Place apple quarters in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; fan slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cider, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in oil. Set aside 1 cup for dressing; drizzle remaining mixture over apples. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, arrange the romaine, leaf lettuce, onion and cranberries on 12 salad plates. Top each with a roasted apple fan; sprinkle with cheese and candied nuts. Drizzle with reserved dressing.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the sugared walnuts and the dressing a few days before. Store the nuts in a covered container at room temperature. Cover and chill the dressing. If they are well coated with dressing before roasting, the apple fans can be prepared a day ahead, then refrigerated. Re-warm them in the oven or microwave when ready to use.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 168 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Apple and Candied Walnut Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010