- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in lemon juice, mustard, paprika and garlic salt. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle half of the thyme mixture inside chicken. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Brush outside of chicken with 1/2 cup butter mixture; sprinkle with remaining thyme mixture. Roast 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with remaining butter mixture. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Roast 30-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forRoast Spiced Chicken
"Great recipe! I didn't sprinkle enough inside and may not have used enough salt, but the meat was moist and flavorable."
"It was delicious."
"This was delicious! I make new recipes every week and only the best of the best get saved. I do not keep most, but this one is. a definite keeper. There is a reason why this family has been making it for 50 years.I used only 1/2 of the rub and made only 1/2 of the butter part of the marinade and it was plenty. No need for gravy with this recipe, the au jus is perfect."