My brother, Rick raised the beef for our wedding. My cousin, Jackie Reader, turned 60 pounds of it into this delicious entree, which can also be served on rolls.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Recipes to Make This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 beef eye round roasts (about 3 pounds each)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups water
- Additional water or beef broth
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- With a sharp knife, make four slits in the top of each roast and insert garlic cloves into slits.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. Rub soup mix over meat. Add water; cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat from cooking liquid; cool meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Skim fat from cooking liquid; refrigerate in a covered container.
- Slice beef 1/4 in. thick, set aside. Pour cooking liquid into a large measuring cup. If needed, add enough water or beef broth to measure 3 cups.
- In a Dutch oven, combine au jus mix and reserved cooking liquid until smooth. Cook and stir over medium until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; add sliced beef and reheat on low for 15-20 minutes. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Originally published as Roast Beef with Onion Au Jus in Down the Aisle Country-Style 2000, p32