An easy five-ingredient spread adds great flavor to these roast beef sandwiches from June Formanek. "We made these many Sunday evening when we wanted a simple supper. Add a beverage and light dessert for an easy meal," says Belle Plaine, Iowa cook.
Recommended: 50 Secret Recipes for Classic Diner Foods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices rye bread or pumpernickel bread
- 12 slices deli roast beef (about 1 pound)
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, soup mix, horseradish, salt and pepper. Spread over six slices of bread; top with beef, lettuce and remaining bread. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roast Beef Sandwich Supreme in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p17