Roast Beef Chimichangas
Your family is sure to enjoy this fabulous homemade version of a restaurant favorite—and it’s a terrific way to use up leftover roast beef. Writes Delia Kennedy from Deer Park, Washington, “These chimichangas are so good! They make a meal all by themselves.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked roast beef
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add the roast beef, olives, salsa and cumin. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture off-center on each tortilla. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up; secure with a toothpick. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Discard toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 656 calories, 45g fat (6g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Beef Chimichangas in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.