Roast Beef Burritos
Ann Nolte of Hampton, Virginia relies on cumin, taco sauce and red pepper flakes to season these savory south-of-the-border sensations. "The recipe is a great way to spice up leftover roast," she says.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) taco sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 flour tortillas (7 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese and lettuce, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, roast beef, taco sauce, chilies, cumin and red pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon about 2/3 cup down the center of each tortilla; fold over sides and ends. Serve with cheese and lettuce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Roast Beef Burritos in Quick Cooking September/October 2003