- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned peas
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned cut green or wax beans
- Seasoned salt to taste
- In a stockpot, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the soup, peas and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add seasoned salt. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forRoast Beef and Barley Soup
"A good, basic recipe that is very flexible. I added more seasoning (Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, onion powder), as per my family's preference, as well as a can of beef gravy. With all the leftover vegetables I had on hand, this recipe made a huge pot of soup. I even froze a portion of it. If you have never cooked barley before, don't be intimidated---it is easy. I followed the package directions and it turned out perfect."
"Great comfort food!! The recipe lends itself to making substitutions, going with whatever leftovers your refrigerator has. I added gravy from the pot roast I fixed the other day."