Risotto with Asparagus
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 7-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan; add 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and maintain at a simmer. In a large heavy skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add rice and stir to coat well; cook 3 minutes longer. Add wine and cook until absorbed.
- Stir in 1 cup simmering broth. Cook until broth is almost completely absorbed, stirring frequently, then add another cup of simmering broth. Repeat until only about 1/4 cup of broth remains (discard remaining broth); the process should take about 20 minutes. Rice should be slightly firm in center and look creamy.
- Add asparagus; heat through. Remove from the heat; add the butter, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 264 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 11, 2009
I love risotto and have made this basic recipe many times, but I've added a tablespoon of lemon zest with the asparagus. This adds just the amount of zing to make this a recipe you'll make again. Another variation on this is to add either pre-cooked chicken pieces with the asparagus, or raw shrimp added just before the asparagus and cooked through.