Ricotta Pie (Pizza Dolce) with Chocolate and Raspberry
My grandmother recalls ricotta pie always making an appearance on Easter when she was little. Now I've taken here recipe and created a pared down version for a more upscale appearance at holidays and other gatherings. —Stephen DeBenedictis, Wakefield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes6 mini pies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- RASPBERRY LAYER:
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Place the flour in a large bowl; cut in the butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Wrap smaller portion in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Divide the remaining dough into six portions. Roll out each portion to fit a 5-in. pie plate; transfer pastry to pie plates. Set aside.
- Press raspberries through a sieve; discard seeds. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in raspberry puree. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Spread over the bottom of each crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, beat the ricotta cheese, flour and vanilla until blended. In a small bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Fold into ricotta mixture. Spread into pastry shells.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make lattice crusts. Trim, seal and flute edges. Whisk egg white; brush over lattice tops. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Transfer pies to a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until serving.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ricotta Pie (Pizza Dolce) with Chocolate and Raspberry in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012