Rich Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, saute carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, curry powder, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 115 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2019
Excellent! The curry is a nice surprise.
Jun 6, 2017
Takes some time to chop up all the veggies, but well worth it. Loved the flavor of curry mingled with the tomatoes and vegetables. Excellent with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Sep 20, 2011
I have made this soup several times and we love the fresh homeade taste of it. It's perfect to use up our abundance of garden tomatoes. The only part of it that is not my favorite is peeling the tomatoes. Other than that, it is actually pretty simple to make.