Rich Seafood Chowder
This creamy, delectable soup is even better the next day. It also works well with scallops or a flaky whitefish. Substitute half-and-half or heavy cream for all or part of the milk to make this soup even richer. —Anita Culver, Royersford, Pennsylvania
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups seafood stock
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Add stock, potatoes, Worcestershire, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- 3. Add the shrimp, clams, crab and cream cheese; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink and and cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
1 cup: 272 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1076mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Mar 6, 2019This chowder was more delicious than I anticipated! I don't normally use canned ingredients but thought I would give this chowder a try and was pleasantly surprised. The recipe came together quickly and my husband LOVED it. He said "this recipe is definitely a keeper". I made a half recipe for the two of us and it was perfect. I would suggest that if you are in a hurry or don't have a potato, you could use instant mashed potato flakes-just add more water or stock. When my potatoe was done I used a fork and mashed it against the side of the pan for a creamier consistency.
Jan 10, 2019Excellent. I didn't drain the clams, extra flavour.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC