Rich Mocha Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, oil and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir well. Slowly add the coffee until combined (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the melted chips and stir until blended. Pour over cake, spreading evenly. Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 508 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 13, 2015
Fantastic from-scratch cake- I omitted the nuts and caramel. I poked holes in the still warm cake and poured prepared instant chocolate fudge pudding over it. Chilled in the fridge and the covered with the frosting.
Feb 14, 2012
Very moist and yummy! Even if you are not a coffee drinker, you will love this cake!
Aug 23, 2011
moist and yummy great way to use excess coffee
Mar 14, 2011
my husband and I agree that this is the BEST cake we have ever tasted! it was so easy to make. I made it into a 2 layer cake and made a butter mocha frosting to go on it....so moist and delicious!!!!
Aug 2, 2009
Yes, it must be. Which cake is this, please?
Jul 14, 2009
That has to be the wrong photo.