Meet the Cook: My husband likes lemon meringue pie, so I figured this would appeal to him. It's become his favorite birthday cake. Our children are 14, 11, 8 and 3. -Debra Blair, Glenwood, Minnesota
Recommended: Lemon Meringue Pie-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolks; mix well. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon zest. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Place cake on a baking sheet; spoon filling on top of cake to within 1/2-in. of edge.
- For meringue, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Cake in Country Woman May/June 1996, p31
Reviews forRich Lemon Meringue Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2014
"IMO, even though this excellent cake has 61 carbs ((a person with diabetes' nightmare)) it is worth every forkful!! TY for sharing!!! Definitely making for my husband for our Wedding Anniversary in August!"