Meet the Cook: My husband likes lemon meringue pie, so I figured this would appeal to him. It's become his favorite birthday cake. Our children are 14, 11, 8 and 3. -Debra Blair, Glenwood, Minnesota
Recommended: Lemon Meringue Pie-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and yolks; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Mix well. Add vanilla. Pour into greased and floured 9-in. round cake pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks, water, sugar, flour and peel; bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Place cake on a baking sheet; spoon filling on top of cake up to 1/2 in. from edge.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on high for 1 minute. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Cake in Country Woman May/June 1996, p31
Reviews forRich Lemon Meringue Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2014
"IMO, even though this excellent cake has 61 carbs ((a person with diabetes' nightmare)) it is worth every forkful!! TY for sharing!!! Definitely making for my husband for our Wedding Anniversary in August!"