Rich & Creamy Eggnog
My mom is a huge eggnog fan around the holidays, but I've never been crazy about the storebought kind. When I whip up this homemade festive treat nobody can resist! —Jenna Fleming, Lowville, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup amaretto
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat about 20 minutes or until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Stir in cream, amaretto, cinnamon and nutmeg. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or until cold. Sprinkle servings with additional nutmeg.
Originally published as Homemade Eggnog in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.