Rich Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Combine sour cream and vanilla; add to creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients just until combined.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle 2 tablespoons into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Spoon half of the batter over topping; sprinkle with half of the remaining topping. Drizzle with half of glaze. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Warm remaining glaze; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Serve warm if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 533 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 3, 2016
Pretty good recipe. Cake is good. I would rather go with walnuts over pecans for coffee cake. Would have given five stars but I've always had problems with recipes where you put the cinnamon/sugar topping on top of the batter. It never bakes in and just falls off. I would save a little batter to put on top or just pour the batter into thirds and have two layers within the cake rather than on top. I would like to try this recipe with a different filling as I like a thick gooey filling and I don't think this one is quite that. The layer I did in the middle of the cake is barely noticeable.
Mar 14, 2016
Great recipe, does out wonderful every time. Have used different filling which works fine. This is my go to recipe for all occasions. ??
Jul 24, 2013
I have made this coffee cake many times by request! Very moist and delicious. I usually forego the pecans because I don't usually have them on hand and I also use light sour cream instead of regular and can't tell the difference. One problem I have is that the cake always sticks to the pan if I sprinkle the sugar concoction on the bottom first. Even without it, wonderful recipe!
Apr 6, 2013
5 stars I make this many times. I use 1/2 cup of blueberries in the cake to change it up sometimes. My family loves this cake. Carol
Jun 14, 2011
I have made this recipe many times, and my niece begs me to make it when she comes over to spend the night. It has been a huge hit in my family.
Mar 9, 2011
loved this coffee cake ,I do not like chocolate much , so I used caramel instead and I doubled the topping
Jan 6, 2011
This coffee cake was loved by all my kids , I doubled the topping ingredients, and instead of the chocolate glaze I used caramel topping
Oct 19, 2010
There has to be a typo somewhere in this recipe. I've tried it 3 times and get the same result. The entire coffee cake sinks in the middle. I read where this is usually a result of too much fat. With one cup of butter and one cup of sour cream, to only 2 cups of flour this has to be a mistake. Don't want to take a chance at trying it again while reducing either the butter to 1/2 cup and keeping the sour cream at 1 cup or vice versa. Wish I knew for sure what went wrong because it sounds like a good recipe.
Feb 13, 2010
The best coffee cake I have ever made.Margaret/South Bend, IN
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.