Rich Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes22 servings (1 cup each)
- 6 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 6 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a stockpot, combine the potatoes, onions, celery and water. Drain clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Add juice to potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into potato mixture.
- Add the vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper and clams. Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 318 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Aug 24, 2016
Fabulous! I cook the potatoes in 3 jars of clam juice and omit the water. I add 3 large chopped carrots. I get rave reviews every time I make it!
Feb 25, 2014
My husband &I love the richness of this chowder. I'll definitely make this recipe again! Great way to celebrate Nat'l clam chowder day!!
Feb 25, 2014
I detest any recipe for soup that uses flour as a thickener. Use cream! Sorry, that is just me. I hate the mouth feel of the flour. Butter and flour are so much tastier and authentic.
Oct 17, 2013
This is the only recipe I'll ever use. It is creamy, thick and just a masterpiece. Definately a "kiss the cook, 5 star"
Apr 6, 2013
That vinegar gives it the perfect little bit of zing that I love! I'm a professional chef and tweak it slightly more but when it's my soup of the day I almost run out of bowls, everyone loves it! Lol
Feb 20, 2013
Best clam Chowder I've had! Everyone loved it and will make it again & again
Jun 4, 2012
Family loves it when I make this. I add clam base for a more pronounced clam flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.