Rich Chocolate Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and coffee, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream over low heat; stir until blended. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until mixture reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 219 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 26, 2018
Very good! I saw these had coffee in them and knew they would be rich & moist. I made my own icing.
Sep 8, 2015
Jul 21, 2015
These were delicious and very rich and moist! Underbaked, they are like lava cakes. I used sprinkles and gel instead of frosting so they wouldn't melt.
Jun 27, 2014
Excellent chocolate cupcakes. There were light, fluffy and delicious. I even added mini chocolate chips to the batter to make a richer chocolate flavor. Everyone loved them. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing.
Mar 12, 2012
Very good recipe! I top them with a fluffy white frosting that contrasts with the dense, rich chocolate cake. Love them.
Jun 8, 2011
I thought they were excellent, very moist, I didn't make the ganache but did a simple frosting recipe, but next time will probably do the ganache to add to the flavor.
Nov 18, 2008
I made them in the mini cupcakepapers, I think they were the perfect size since they were wonderfully rich. I made the ganache frosting it was wonderful and I was surprised that it spread so far.
Nov 17, 2008
Yummmmm. These are delicious and very easy. I didn't make the ganache but rather a penuche frosting and it was awesome