- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat in butter. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the cocoa and butter. Combine the water and coffee granules; add to cocoa mixture. Stir in sugar until smooth. Frost brownies. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forRich Chocolate Brownies
"Turned out more cake-like than in the picture, but still very good. I skipped the frosting to save on time, so can't really rate that part. I added about a 1/3 cup each pecans and chocolate chips to the batter to fancy it up a bit since I was skipping the frosting. quick and easy, so you really don't need to buy a mix again!"
"Delicious brownies! I did not make the frosting after reading previous reviews, and they were great without it!"
"Very rich and moist! Better than any other recipe I have tried. I did not use the instant coffee as we are not into that kind of coffee. I used brewed coffee in place of the water but I did need to add more to make the frosting spreadable just a few extra drops to make it spreadable. My husband really enjoyed these and said he could taste the coffee in the frosting. Make sure you have Ice cream to off set the richness of these brownies. I will make these again."
"Very good brownies! I only added one half a teaspoon of instant coffee to the frosting, and even that was too much - I'd leave it out if I made the frosting again. Actually, I don't care for frosting, period, and I'd rather just make the brownies and leave them unfrosted. These were very soft and delicious, and I'd make them again without hesitation."
"A richer brownie recipe for when you have a taste for frosted brownies. I don't usually like coffee in brownies but this was really good,"
"With the exception of the frosting recipe, this is the Hershey's Best Brownies I have been making for years. When I made them the first time, my husband said don't bother making any other recipe!"
"I just made these today, and honestly, this brownie recipe is nothing special or exceptional to me. They were no better than any other brownie recipe I have made. Not bad. Just not as good as I was expecting according to the reviews. I guess I am still in search of a really awesome dense brownie recipe."
"These brownies are wonderful! Moist and fudgy and the frosting is delicious. Can't taste the coffee in the frosting; it just serves to enhance the flavor of the chocolate. I doubled the brownie recipe for a 9x13 pan (and added 1 Tbl. of vanilla) but only 1.5 times the frosting recipe (adding 2 tsps. vanilla) because it makes so much. Still baked for 30 minutes. Heavenly!"