Rich Cheese Bread
Our two cons always request this cheesy bread during the holidays. It's a favorite to serve with soup or to use for making sandwiches.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the water, molasses and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Work half of the cheese cubes into each portion of dough. Shape into round loaves.
- Place in two greased 8-in. or 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with additional cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 114 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Rich Cheese Bread in Best of Country Breads