- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream. Pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forRich 'n' Cheesy Macaroni
"Delicious! I loved this recipe! I made one change which was to use ricotta instead of cottage cheese."
"This is an unbelievable and cheese recipe!!"
"Whenever I make this recipe and take it somewhere people rave about it. They will ask for the recipe, which can happen a lot, people say it...but don't necessarily remember. With this recipe they follow up with me and beg for it. I have heard from many that this is the best mac n cheese they have ever had. I agree...it is awesome!"
"This mac & cheese is the best. If you're worried about the cottage cheese or sour cream in it because you don't like them, don't worry. You can't tell either one of them is there. I do put them both into my food processor together to make them very smooth before adding to the saucepan. It takes away any cottage cheese texture at all.I call this my 'super secret mac & cheese recipe' because my husband would not eat it if he knew cottage cheese was in it. I've never told him (and don't plan on ever telling him) and he raves about how good it is every time I make it. The only thing I do differently is instead of sprinkling the cheddar cheese on top I mix it into the dish. I also add some mozzarella. You can't have too much cheese! Try this one, it's the best!"
"absolutely superbly delicious"
"I haven't made it yet but I would like to. The only thing is is I despise cottage cheese.Can you substitute Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese in this recipe?"
"I have made this so many times... It is fantastic!! I don't use the bread crumbs and add a small diced onion. Wow just amazing!! So happy you shared it:)"
"I've made this many times and will continue to make it forever. It is incredibly good. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the world!"
"I do think this is the best mac & cheese I've eaten. I don't put the breadcrumbs on either. However, I do find I have too much sauce for the macaroni. Next time I will make more macaroni for it. I use a 9x13 since I don't have a 2.5 qt. I also use cut up deli American cheese as per the version I saw in the magazine. Might be a bit cheaper than velvetta and super tasty!"