You'll keep a cake mix on hand just to make these deliciously rich bars from Ann Horst of Boonsboro, Maryland. "They're fancy enough to stir up for a bake sale," she says. "And they always disappear quickly."
Recommended: Top 10 Coconut Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cut butter into cake mix until crumbly. Add egg and mix well. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread evenly over the crust. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 10 minutes longer. Dust with confectioners' sugar while warm. Cool to room temperature before cutting. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Rich 'n' Buttery Bars in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p15
Reviews forRich 'n' Buttery Bars
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review