My mom is a huge eggnog fan around the holidays, but I've never been crazy about the storebought kind. When I whip up this homemade festive treat nobody can resist! —Jenna Fleming, Lowville, New York
Recommended: 32 Holiday Recipes to Make with Eggnog
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup amaretto
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat about 20 minutes or until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Stir in cream, amaretto, cinnamon and nutmeg. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or until cold. Sprinkle servings with additional nutmeg. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Rich & Creamy Eggnog in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014